Getting Started with Facebook Live: How to amplify your action and bring more people into the movement
Watch this webinar to learn how you can use Facebook Live to amplify your next action and bring people into the movement.
This webinar covers:
- The basics of Facebook Live - how to broadcast, how to build an audience, and how to interact with viewers
- How to move people from Facebook spectators to movement participants
- The gear that will improve the quality of your broadcast
This webinar is a module from a two day training that teaches how to recruit thousands of people online and move them to lead offline actions. If you'd like us to lead a training for your organization, get in touch with Randall at email@example.com. It's never too early to reach out.
- Rode VideoMic Me Directional Microphone for Smartphones This mic plugs directly into a headphone jack. If your phone doesn't have a headphone jack, get the mic below. Do not buy this mic from Amazon. The Amazon mics are counterfeit and defective.
- Rode VideoMicro Compact On-Camera Microphone with Rycote Lyre Shock Mount This mic requires a hotshoe mount to attach it. In order to use the RØDE VideoMicro with a smartphone, a TRS to TRRS cable like the RØDE SC7 or RØDE SC4 is required.
- Rode smartLav+ Lavalier Microphone for iPhone and Smartphones I use this mic for interviews with a single person. If I'm interviewing several people back-to-back I don't bother with this mic -- clipping it on and off takes to much time. I use the directional mics above instead.
- Miracle Sound Deluxe Lavalier Lapel Clip-on Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone I use the Rode lav mic but this one is 1/5th the cost and is highly rated on Amazon.
- Shoulderpod S1 Professional Smartphone Rig This provides a more secure grip on the phone for handheld shooting. It also can be used to mount the phone to a monopod or tripod.
- Manfrotto MMC3-01 Compact 5 Section Aluminum Monopod I love this monopod combined with the Shoulderpod to stabilize the phone. 90% of the time I'm filming I have the phone on a monopod.
- BeastGrip Pro This rig is a step above the Shoulderpod (and costs 4 times as much.) It has hotshoe mounts for adding lights and a directional mic like the Rode VideoMicro.
- Anker PowerCore+ mini This can be attached with rubber bands to the monopod or stuck in a shirt pocket. The Anker PowerCore+ mini adds over one charge to an iPhone 6, almost one full charge to a Galaxy S6 or one full charge to most other phones.
- RAVPower 22000 Portable Charger This will keep you filming for longer actions and/or actions like building occupations where the power might be shut off. It weighs a pound so you'll want to carry it in a backpack with a cord running to the phone. The RAVPower will charge a phone 5-9 times depending on the phone model.
- HotHands Hand Warmers 10 Pair Value Pack Rubber band a hand warmer to your phone to keep the battery warm and the phone functioning in freezing weather.
- GripGlo Reflective Safety Vest The vest can help make you look "official" and close to the action when police or security forces arrive.
Watch these Recommendations in Action
Videos Mentioned in the Webinar
- SURJ Brave activists disrupted the Trump rally in Charleston.
- Ken Ward, Climate Direct Action BREAKING: To avert climate catastrophe, activists shut down pipelines bringing Tar Sands Oil into the U.S, in solidarity with Standing Rock.
- Cosecha Community members and activists shut down ICE Field Office and risk arrest in support of #Buffalo25
- AllofUs NOW: Millennial women sit-in at the RNC to demand an end to their support for Trump’s indefensible sexism. #TrumpTapes #TrumpVsAllofUs
- AllofUs WATCH: Millennial women sitting in at the RNC's headquarters to demand an end to their continued endorsement of #Trump’s indefensible sexist and racist campaign.